where we were met by two genuinely nice young women. They showed us around the building and then guided us over to Watts building, where I studied as a young man.
It is essentially identical on the outside, but inside it's totally different. Where we had a huge computing center full of mainframe hardware, they have nothing at all. Instead, they do it all on PC equipment.
What the graduates do if ever faced with a mainframe during their working careers, I don't know.
All the computer classrooms were closed, and on the point of renovation, and desktop computers by the hundreds, being thrown out and replaced in time to greet the influx of new students at the end of summer.
The Learning Resource Center was also unrecognizable. There wasn't a book to be seen, and instead we saw snug little sound-insulated, private rooms where student groups were encouraged to talk (or what ever).
Everything designed to make life easier and more comfortable for the students, as is only right. There were coffee machines, ATMs, all sorts of facilities that were not available in the dark ages when I was a student. There was even a Starbucks!
And perhaps the cutest thing of all:
A vending machine that dispenses USB cables, hard drives, ethernet patch cords, three-button mice, USB flashdrives, and the like.
It was good to see the developments and improvements that have occurred over the years, even though some of them seemed so foreign that they were hard to believe.
Mindful of their privacy, I took no photographs of our two hosts for the blog, but I now regret taking none as a personal keepsake. Thank you, ladies. It was a pleasure!
From there by bus to the Old Steine, where we took a good look at the incredible Royal Pavilion, where Edward VII stashed his mistress Lillie Langtry, a short coach-trip from London. This place was a Royal Stabbin' Cabin! And the reputation of Brighton as being the place to go for a "dirty weekend" began!
We wandered through the gardens (which have changed since my day) and caught a glimpse of The Dome, which houses a small auditorium. I went there to concerts by Rick Wakeman and Camel, to name but a couple.
We wandered up North Street
Until I found the entrance to The Lanes that I was looking for. The Lanes has become a place that sells expensive jewelry and even more expensive coffee to pretentious tourists. The only place I would have really liked to see was Robinson's Bookshop, but it was no more.
Departing The Lanes the one place I knew we would definately not find was Brown's Cafe, which couldn't possibly have survived all those years...
...and there it was! Looking much the same, except for all the trendy executives wearing Cartier watches where the poor students would sit, eating Peasant's Pot or the unlimited spaghetti meals, and the waitresses would sit at your table with you and smoke your cigarettes and chat.
From there past the Clock Tower
to Western Road and Churchill Square where I bought my books, magazines and college supplies at WH Smiths. Smiths is still there but there is an escalator down to the books, instead of a staircase up!
Then down to the seafront where we saw the remains of Brighton's West Pier.
We walked on the sandy beach...
(Bajans may laugh at this point) and saw the i360, owned and operated by British Airways, with flights every 30 minutes.
We turned east and strolled along past much summer fun activity,
to the Palace Pier, where we embarked upon a stroll out over the water.
From the end of the pier I took two panorama shots of the beach.
The second of these shows the seafront where I lived on Marine Parade as a poor-assed student, when first I came to Brighton in 1975.
Alas, while we were strolling on the pier, a telephone call brought distressing news from home for my travelling companion Derek. And as our plans for the day were almost complete and our feet were hurting, we decided to cut short our walk and return home.
Later, we all went out to dinner, and to help generate an appetite,
The i360!
We watched it take other sightseers to the heights, and then it was our turn.
From the top, you can look east as far as the white cliffs at Newhaven, and probably as far as Beachy Head.
To the west, you can see way out past Worthing, probably as far as Bognor.
And south, in the channel... could it possibly be the Isle of Wight? Anyway, upon our return to earth, it was the China Garden restaurant for a delicious meal, and then back home again.
Time for bed. St.Leonard's tomorrow, and on the way, the few places in eastern Brighton that we didn't see today.
























No comments:
Post a Comment