Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Bonnie Scotland...

We said farewell to the swans and ducks, and departed Holme Mills for Scotland.


On the way out, I tipped my nearly-lost cap to The Smithy Inn where we had dinner the evening before.  (Steak pie, potatoes and steamed veg.  Simple fare, but tasty and twice as much as even I could eat!)


Then it was across the rolling hills, criss-crossed by dry-stone walls, and sprinkled with fluffy sheep.  Very pastoral and lovely.  After a while, we found ourselves at Lake Windermere.  


Famous in the Lake District, we stopped at a cafe in Windermere itself, blundering past the "Closed" sign unwittingly.  But the chap still made me a pot of tea, and a coffee for Derek who declared it the strongest and tastiest he's had so far in the UK. High praise indeed.

The first real-real book I ever read was Swallows & Amazons by Arthur Ransome, So of course, we went and had a look at Coniston Water, where the book was set. Do you think that could be Wild Cat Island out there?


It's easy to see why so many consider the Lake District to be the most beautiful part of England.  I'm not sure if I totally agree because there are a lot of beautiful places here, But...


Leaving Coniston Water we became completely lost thanks to "Three" giving us no bars for nearly two hours.  We made do with paper maps, and eventually made our way north of the border, and got on course again.  Journeying through lovely countryside, and passing through Carlisle (where we had lunch in a Pizza Hut), then Dumfries, and St. John's Town of Dalry...


...we finally made it to Ayr.  But we were lateish, so we didn't stay long.  Just enough to take a photo of the Esplanade (yes, they have one too).


There was mist on the mountains in certain spots, and it looked very nice, but promised damper weather to follow.


Finally arriving at our BnB in Glasgow, we were greeted by a very pleasant host who spoke with a delightful accent, and made us feel welcome and at home.

Unfortunately, when we strolled out later to get some dinner, the rain fell, so we grabbed more fast food and scurried back again.

Tomorrow, we're off very early to catch the ferry!  So, we have to get everything ready to roll first thing!

Funny thing:  For months, while planning I thought it was St. John's Town of Dairy!  So, when we got there I commented on expecting to see more cows, and that's when Derek pointed out what a fool I am...





1 comment:

  1. Don't worry Gus, you have a trained navigator with you - you won't get lost! :)

    ReplyDelete